Chief Executive Officer Job at Unguka Bank PLC - Career Opportunity in Rwanda
OverviewJob Type: Full-Time
Job Category: Corporate / Organisation Officer
Deadline of this Job: 2nd april 2019
Duty Station: Rwanda
Job Status Start Publishing: 20-03-2019
No of Jobs: 1 Stop Publishing (Put date of 2030): 20-03-2065
Chief Executive Officer
Unguka Bank PLC
Deadline of this Job:
2nd april 2019
Kigali , Rwanda , East Africa , 00100 , RW
Date Posted: 20th March 2019 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed , Employment Type: Full_Time , Currency: RWF , Value: 200000 , Minimum: 140000 , Maximum: 600000 , Period: MONTH
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF UNGUKA BANK PLC
The Chief Executive Officer is the most senior management officer of the Bank. S/he serves as the leader and maintains an effective and cohesive senior management team for the Bank; leads the Bank in achieving its goals; is the main spokesperson for the Bank, and bears the chief responsibility in ensuring the Bank meets its short-term operational and long-term strategic goals. S/he works with and is accountable to the Board of Directors of UB.
The Chief Executive Officer reports to the Board of Directors of UB..
Primary responsibilities include:
• Establish control and oversight of the institution for the sound banking practices based on the standard banking laws, rules, regulations, and directions of the National Bank of Rwanda (“BNR”) and other related laws.
• Review the financial and operational conditions of the Bank, maintain profitable operations and recommend viable alternatives for cost-effective operations.
• Prepare a Management Plan that establishes goals and objectives for the management of the institution and prepares Key Performance Indicators based on the plan.
• Ensure that the institution is operated in a safe and sound manner as guided by the BNR laws and regulations. The banking operation is expected to yield operating profit, limit high-cost deposit growth, eliminate fraudulent activities and avoid unnecessary influences.
• Be responsible for the delivery of the overall results of the Bank and to ensure the attainment of its objectives.
• Working with the Board in setting the strategic direction for the company and ensuring that this strategy is realized by putting in place the necessary plans, budgets, systems, policies, and procedures;
• Being aware of longer-term developments that might affect the industry and the bank, so that the bank can be prepared/positioned to gain advantage or minimize disadvantage from the situation.
• Managing the overall business to ensure strategic and business plans are effectively implemented within the authority limitations delegated by the Board, the results are monitored and reported to the Board, and financial and operational objectives are attained;
• Managing the business to create sustainable long-term shareholder value;
I. KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CEO
a) Strategic management
• Develop and recommend strategic plans to the Board that ensures the Company’s profitable growth and overall success. This includes updating and making changes as required and involving the Board in the early stages of developing strategy.
• Successfully implement the corresponding business and operational plans. Review and report regularly to the Board on the overall progress and results against operating and financial objectives and initiate courses of action for improvement. This should include the identification of future opportunities and threats.
b) Operation management
• Develop annual operating forecasts of revenue, expenditures, operational results and financial performance and ensure financial growth of the bank.
• Develop annual capital commitment and expenditure budgets for approval by the Board.
• Authorize commitment of corporate resources. Enter into agreements, contracts, leases, etc. in the ordinary course of business, in order to pursue the approved strategies, business plans, and objectives of the bank, provided however, that major commitments, exposures, and risks will be reported to the Board on a regular and timely basis, and obtain approval where necessary.
c) Human resource management and development
• Build an effective management team, developing their professional knowledge and skill, while holding them accountable for key areas of delivery. Through the management team ensure that functional activities are carried out cost-effectively.
• Develop and maintain a sound, effective organizational structure, and ensure capable management succession, progressive employee training, and employee motivation and development programs.
• Provide the Board, at Board and committee meetings, exposure to the Bank’s key management.
d) Relationship management
• Ensure effective communications and appropriate relationships are maintained with the shareholders of the bank and other stakeholders such as customers, industry, employees, the financial community, regulators, governments, non-government organizations, communities in which UB operates, suppliers, and media.
• Manage and oversee the required interfaces between the bank and the public and act as the principal spokesperson for the bank.
e) Compliances, risk management, and corporate governance
• Keep the Board fully informed on all aspects of the bank’s operational and financial affairs and on all matters of significant relevance to the bank including those items emanating from governments and regulators on issues such as fiscal, monetary and environment policies, legislation affecting operations and regulating oversight, etc.
• Authorize and ensure that effective control and co-ordination mechanisms for all operations and activities are in place including the establishment and development of effective internal controls over financial reporting.
• Ensure the bank’s assets are adequately safeguarded and optimized in the best interests of the shareholders.
• Maintain a high level of integrity, work ethics, and Corporate Governance standards.
f) Core competencies
The candidate, as a minimum, is expected to have high integrity and in addition, the following competencies:
• Ability to think and act strategically;
• Strong management skills;
• Strong leadership abilities;
• Good people skills and client relationships;
• Sound industry and in particular, financial knowledge;
• Good communication skills; and
Strong commitment to bank affairs beyond normal hours.
The CEO must have at least a degree in Business from a recognized university and having a master + other professional qualifications will be treated as an added advantage.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS EXECUTIVE POSITION
• He/she should have a minimum of 10 years’ experience specifically in a banking financial institution and at least 5 years at the executive level.
• Extensive people management experience, preferably in a commercial environment.
• Comprehensive knowledge about the banking sector with know-how in other investment sectors.
• Recognition for high professional value and integrity.
• A good track record of past performance in a leadership role.
• No conflict of interests with the Bank (a self-declaration note is needed).
• Not having been convicted by the court on any criminal charge and not blacklisted by any Bank and Financial Institution in the past.
• Must not be disqualified by the prevailing laws, rules and regulations of the country.
• Not having been charged/penalized by the National Bank of Rwanda.
• Experience in delivering operational business turnarounds.
Knowledge in business private equity investment, sale and mergers transaction
Job application procedure
All candidates interested in this position and have the relevant experience please forward in pdf format:
A CV (+ all copies of relevant degrees, certificate of employment), with full Personal details, education, work history and contactable references to the following email address: [email protected]
• The closing date for applications is Tuesday 02 April 2019 at 4.00 PM (Kigali Time).
• Correspondence and communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates.
• Short-listed candidates will be subjected to appropriate pre-employment checks as part of the Selection process.